Friday, April 15, 2011

Fan Fined $500 for Firing Octopus into Red Wings' Ocean



by Lisa Ovens

The fan was also tossed from the game. This long standing tradition in Detroit is in peril and something has to be done about it. I can empathize with the National Hockey League: a wet octopus can stick to the cold, hard ice surface, making it a chore to remove and there is also the risk of damage to the ice. Like anyone wants that. However, hockey is a sport that is steeped in tradition, and these traditions mean so much to fans. Heck, in Vancouver (the copycatting city that we are) we toss salmon, occasionally.

This is a tough issue. Gotta love Mike Babcock's response...

I don't know anything about it, I like calamari as much as they next guy, I don't like batter on it, but I like it spicy and cooked. It's part of the tradition here. I just hope the guys that come on to scrape it off aren't digging up the ice. I want it to be smooth.''


Link to Mlive article

Man...I love it when Babcock talks about food! Remember when he made a sandwich on Hockey Night in Canada earlier this season? Click here for a refresher
 
And the final word in the article and an equally good response? Yotes, netminder, Ilya Bryzgalov...


“It doesn't bother me. They're not throwing the whole octopus on me. Otherwise I would stink.''


Okay, let's get back on track...
 
How do we solve this issue? Use a plastic octopus and hold a some sort of a social media contest and the winning fan gets the opportunity to toss an octopus after the anthem? Perhaps we need to get Brendan Shanahan and his competition committee on the case. Something needs to be done because, well, hockey fans live for this kind of stuff. It's not like every team in the league copies the Red Wings at this time of year. Hopefully someone can step in and save the tradition.
 
Canucks Fans...stuff salmon down your pants at your own risk!

1 comment:

  1. Lisa, I have to disagree with you on this one! Diehard traditionalist that I am, this is one tradition that is so gross that it HAS to go away. And stop with the salmon too!!

    ReplyDelete